Physical Education Department Philosophy
The Nipmuc student will demonstrate healthy lifestyle choices, physical fitness skills, and behaviors that enhance and maintain wellness, as they build an understanding and ability to interpret health information, movement concepts, and 21st century skills. By becoming more skillful and competent in physical activities and understanding risky behaviors that can lead to harm, students come to appreciate the importance of a healthy and physically active lifestyle. Students not only learn various sport and fitness skills, they also learn how to continue to lead healthy and active lifestyles after graduation by being active participants and spectators in a wide variety of sports and activities. By comprehending the immediate and lifelong benefits of exercise and achieving the physical goals they have set for themselves, they take with them the ability to maximize their individual potential.
Students will progress through a series of units covering sport, fitness, recreation, and lifelong wellness. Although each unit provides a unique opportunity to increase knowledge and demonstrate understanding, all will focus on the themes of individual goal-setting, active participation, and responsibility. By establishing and working toward achieving their goals, students experience the success of achievement. They believe they can have goals, and they learn that they can only be attained by actively participating, hard work, and dedication. Students ultimately learn to take responsibility for their own health by developing a sound base of knowledge and understanding that leads to making informed health conscious decisions.
Why are we doing this?
Each unit aims to develop the 5 dimensions of wellness (physical, emotional, social, intellectual, and spiritual) in order to achieve lifelong wellness.
Fitness (F): Active participation in physical fitness helps to develop and improve lifelong wellness.
- Participating in physical fitness improves the body’s ability to move and increases overall physical health
- Developing physical fitness increases confidence and self-esteem
- Involvement in physical activities develops interpersonal connections and increases social fulfillment
- Understanding physical fitness concepts helps to prevent injury, illness, and disease
- Maintaining physical fitness increases personal responsibility, self-awareness and motivation
Team Sports (TS): Active participation in team sports helps to maintain and improve lifelong wellness.
- Participating in team sports improves physical skills and ability and increases overall physical health
- Improving the fundamental skills of team sports increases self-confidence and pride
- Involvement in competitive games develops enthusiasm, teamwork and increases social fulfillment
- Understanding rules, scoring, and strategies leads to lifelong participation and spectating
- Participating in team sports develops responsibility, accountability, and empathy
Recreational Activities (RA): Active participation in recreational activities helps to sustain lifelong wellness.
- Participating in recreational activities improves daily life and increases overall physical health
- Practicing recreational activities increases self-esteem, pride, and confidence
- Involvement in recreational activities develops camaraderie and increases social fulfillment
- Understanding recreational activities promotes lifelong learning and exploration
- Participating in recreational activities develops respect, empowerment, and optimism
Health & Wellness (HW): Active participation in personal health practices helps to understand lifelong wellness.
- Incorporating personal health practices improves daily life and increases overall physical health
- Developing personal health knowledge increases confidence and self-satisfaction
- Maintaining personal health practices creates a strong support network
- Understanding areas of personal health promotes healthy habits and lifelong learning
- Participating in personal health exploration develops pride, empowerment, and optimism